Selenium RC and Selenium Web Driver merged to form Selenium 2.
- To design a test using a more expressive language than Selenese
- To run your test against different browsers (except HtmlUnit) on different operating systems.
- To deploy your tests across multiple environments using Selenium Grid.
- To test web applications with complex AJAX-based scenarios.
Selenium RC comes in two parts.
- A server which automatically launches and kills browsers, and acts as a HTTP proxy for web requests from them.
- Client libraries for your favourite computer language.
Selenium Remote Control is great for testing complex AJAX-based web user interfaces under a Continuous Integration system. It is also an ideal solution for users of Selenium IDE who want to write tests in a more expressive programming language than the Selenese HTML table format.